Saturday 21 March 2009

blue skies, dark mood

We're in the middle of fantastic weather, with lots of sunshine, blue skies, people laughing in the park, blossom on the trees, flowers coming up everywhere and lots more. Yet I'm feeling very low. I've been full of cold for ten days now, blocked sinuses, aches, one minute too hot then too cold and because of this I've had to cancel a trip to the Scottish Highlands and taking part in a local trail race, and missing the 60th birthday party of someone important to me. So despite knowing the benefits of looking at the beauty all around I'm still struggling. I'm finding that I start to be critical of my work, I'm too ill to do it so I'm questioning whether I even want to! It seems too much effort getting absorbed by a good book or conversation, so I'm just festering. What is the point of this explanation of my misery (and other exaggerations - I'm sure some will recognise the symptoms of man-flu!!) - its simple, mindfulness isn't just sitting on a cushion and the world will be magically rosy. We have to continually work at being mindful, holding unpleasant and pleasant side by side so that we can respond positively rather than react and grump - I'm working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment