Friday 26 June 2009

Little things

I'm taking part in an 'Urban Retreat' this week. Which might sound strange, after all don't we normally go on retreat to somewhere in the countryside - away from urban? But the idea of being on this retreat is to maintain a retreat like practice while getting on with daily life! Putting into our daily routine some of the things we do when on retreat. For me this includes extra meditation, trying to eat together at a table rather than food on the go (or on my knee!). No TV (though I'd already taken this step). Practicing with my partner and friends rather than in isolation.

But I've noticed it is 'little things' that are making a difference. I'm wearing a string around my wrist which constantly reminds me I'm on a retreat, reminds me to stop and think about what I'm doing and why. I'm ringing a friend to see how she is getting on with her Urban Retreat this week (there are thousands on the same retreat, some virtually, reporting in on the internet, others actually, we met at the start and will do so again when the retreat finishes). I start each day with a dedication ceremony, a commitment to getting the most out of the day, to engage with life. I've realised the value of having small reminders to keep practicing, whether it is a timer to say 'you're sitting at the computer for too long' or a small sticker that says 'take a deep breath' it doesn't matter, they are a reminder to press the 'pause' button, realise you're dropping back into a state of rush and do something to reengage with being mindful. Look at the view, hug a partner, have a walk, stroke the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment